Saturday, May 7, 2016

BYE-BYE, BOMBONAS!

Lined up by my front door, they are a stumbling block. A dull orange eyesore. These butane tanks, bombonas, have been part of my life in Spain forever. Now, I’m phasing them out. Replacing, first, the butane-gas hot water heater that took up space in my kitchen with a solar hot water installation. 

I used to haul these gas bottles in my car from the village and hump them down the steps to the house. Now they are delivered to my door. But, as I get older, I really don't need to be moving these tanks around anymore. So, I'm making changes--first, solar hot water heater, next, perhaps an electric stove. (I have no idea when the butane became propane, as is printed right on the bottles.)

Next to the stove, a butane hot water heater that was installed when I built the house 44 years ago. It's a "demand" heater, that heats the water as it moves through the tube (no deposit tank). It's worked just fine all these years--but I am tired of hauling those heavy tanks. The orange gas tank--just visible next to the stove--fuels both the stove and water heater. Will that ancient Magic Chef stove be the next to go? I don't really want to cook on electric cook-top---
Kitchen is topsy-turvy as crew begins installation of cables and tubes for solar hot water system. I won't be cooking dinner tonight.

Up on the roof--it takes four guys to place the water deposit cylinder. The solar panels, facing south, will be mounted in front of it.  Broken roof tiles get replaced the next day by a separate crew. Note: overcast skies--will there be enough sun to heat my water? (Yes, plus a back-up electric boosts the temperature.)

Selfie! My reflection in one of the solar panels being carried up to the roof.

The two-day installation has left my kitchen pretty topsy-turvy, as a work crew knocked out the old heater, installed cables and water tubes through the wall and across the roof to connect to the solar panels and storage tank.

With the gas bottle temporarily out of the kitchen, I couldn’t use the stove. Son Ben brought home one of those delicious rotisserie chickens and a heap of fries. I made pisto—a vegetable mélange much like ratatouille—in the microwave to go with the chicken. We cleared a place at the table among the stacks of ceramic plates that were removed from the kitchen shelf. Oh yes, there was plenty of hot water to wash up after dinner!

No cooking tonight. Dinner take-out--rotisserie roast chicken and a heap of fries.

Eat those fries while they're hot.

Dinner's served. Exceptional roast chicken by la gallega (Galician woman). Liberally salted before being threaded on the rotisserie, the chicken is stuffed with fresh bay leaves, sprigs of thyme, whole cloves of garlic and a quartered lemon. Why do these taste better than roast chicken cooked at home?

This is the company that installed my solar hot water system http://www.energiasolarnovasol.com/en/

Next on the agenda--trenches under the olive trees to lay new cable so that I can contract for more kilowatts from the utility company and, maybe, put in an electric stove.

9 comments:

  1. I hope your solar hot water system works well. Neighbors have one, but it's leaked a lot. I hate cooking on conventional electric, but I know people who have been happy with electric induction cook tops. The problem with those is you have to have the right kind of pots and pans.

    I'll definitely put up with gas bottles for a gas cooktop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David: Maybe I can find a dual cooktop--gas (for using clay cazuelas and tagines and when the electricity goes out)and electric, for soup, cooking veggies. Keep the gas bottle, but decrease consumption.

      Delete
  2. WOW! What a project! But, when all done, will be nice. I have always preferred cooking on gas, as you have as much heat right away, as you want, then less as needed. When I visit my family in WA I find it hard to be patient for the heat to get up to where I want it. LOL
    See you in Sept.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty: I am loath to give up gas stove, but tired of lugging butane tanks. See you then.

      Delete
  3. Oh nooooh! Don't give up the gas stove, I agree the bombonas are heavy but cooking on electric just isn't the same. We have lived here in Extremadura for three years and have only just tried our local fried chicken takeaway... omg.. so good! We might be regular customers now. I'm sure it must be bad for you lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane: The electric stove is still a while away. First, the electric company has to install a new transformer and new conduits. Then I can contract for more kw hours. When I built the house, electricity was used for little except lighting. Now, when I turn on dishwasher, washing machine and air conditioner at the same time, the circuits blow! Enjoy your chicken take-out!

      Delete
  4. This is a great photo essay, and an inspiring project, Jane. I think you've made the sensible and, in an environmental sense, the right decision. I very much hope it works out really well for you. I cook on gas,but have just spent a week cooking on an induction hob and oven not previously familiar to me, and did so without problems - and cooking for up to 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JohnD: Thanks for wishing me well. Still cooking on gas, for now. The best for big, heavy earthenware cazuela that's in this week's blog recipe, zarzuela.

      Delete
  5. I have been a fan of using gas for cooking. With gas, you can carry out your duties without any disruption unlike electric stove, where power shortage can be a real nuisance. However, your take to adopt a solar-water heating system will save you a lot. You will not have to worry on replacing the bombonas again. It is quite a great project to carry out. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete